Tips To Get Rid Of Acne
Acne is something most of us have (or will have) suffered with at some point in our life which is why we wanted to share some tips to get rid of acne with you.
Acne seems to strike when we want it the least (think massive pimple in the middle of your forehead right before prom – true story) and stay way longer than we want. But how much do we really know about these unwanted guests?
Here are some facts that we think you should know about acne!
1. Acne is the most common skin care problem seen by doctors, affecting nearly 20% of Canadians.
2. A popular myth about acne is that it is contagious. This just isn’t the case. Acne arises when the pores become clogged by a combination of sebum (an oily substance produced by the skin), dirt, and dead skin cells. Acne can also be contributed to genetic factors. So, don’t ditch your friend who’s recently had a breakout.
3. Against popular belief, sun exposure or tanning does not help acne in the long run. A bit of sun exposure can help dry up skin lesions and surface oil, but this is only temporary. Many people actually experience acne flare-ups after UV exposure. Make sure you’re always practicing “safe sun” – SPF is your best friend.
4. There are different types of acne, so make sure you understand yours before trying to treat it. You may end up using products that are too tough, or not tough enough, on your skin. It’s best to ask a skin care professional for your best course of action.
5. Many studies have shown that acne is as much of a psychological issue as it is a physical one. Despite the commonality of acne, many people report that having even mild acne can trigger feelings of low self-esteem, isolation, and depression. We at Skin Revival want to remind you that acne, even severe acne, isn’t a forever thing. Having acne doesn’t mean you’re “gross” or that you need to hide away at home until it clears up. Acne is, unfortunately, just a part of life, not a hindrance. We work together with countless patients in order to understand why the breakouts are happening and what we can do to reduce them. We want you to feel happy and confident in your skin. Your beauty and worth goes much deeper than your skin type.
Here are some tips on what to do (or not do) when you find yourself affected by acne.
Tip #1: Keep calm! We know it’s easier said than done, but try not to stress when you see acne appear. Stress affects your hormones, which in turn can worsen your acne.
Tip #2: Don’t touch that pimple! Popping, picking, squeezing – whatever you call it, stop doing it! These habits lead to the distribution of bacteria leading to acne and scarring. Try to keep your hands away from your face in general (except to clean your face or scratch an itch) to avoid the transfer of bacteria.
Tip #3: Wash your face! One or two proper acne washes a day keep acne at bay! But remember not to scrub your skin too much, as doing so can irritate your skin and aggravate acne.
Tip #4: Wash your pillowcases and sheets often! It’s a good habit to have and stops oil and dirt from attacking your skin as you sleep.
Tip #5: Pin your hair up off your face whenever you can. Sleeping with your hair down can cause oils from your scalp to transfer to your face. Oh, and those bangs look lovely but they do not let your forehead breathe.
Tip #6: Don’t ignore it! Being proactive about your acne is better for your skin health overall. It isn’t just about keeping pesky pimples away, it’s about keeping your skin clean and healthy.
Treat Your Loved Ones!
Want to make someone feel truly spoiled? We’ve put together some special gift packages help to relax, refresh, or revitalize them whenever they need it!